Saturday, November 08, 2008

Bharat Ratna - Pt Bhimsen Joshi

A close encounter with Pt. Bhimsen Joshi. The name synonymous to Indian Classical music, a true god gifted artist who was honoured with the highest civilian award, given to any Indian, The Bharat Ratna.

I was about 6 or 7 years of age, not much sense of notes nor beats but a liking for music for it was part of the family. My parents take me and my sister to this concert. The venue 30 miles away, here starts my vague recollection where we meet the doyen of classical music Pt Joshi at the inspection bungalow.There was brisk activity in this big hall, we enter and see panditji I bow down and touch his feet as instructed by parents. Parents exchange greetings and continue with conversations, panditji enquires about my grand parents. Only years later I learnt that Pt Joshi and his family have been family friends going back to my grand parents. There was also a story about how Panditji relished "Mandige" a sweet cooked at my grand parents house .

Truly blessed to have seen and heard Panditji.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having read this, I recall a beautiful Sur Malhar recording you gave me by Pt. Bhimsen Joshi.