Sunday, May 11, 2008

Bhakti sangeet - Vachana

Over the years their have been sages, saints, thinkers disseminating seeds of spirituality. Music has been the means to reach a wider audience to strike the right chord, to induce that extra level of emotional/spiritual high.

Here is an example of bhakti sangeet, after listening to this Vachana, by Allama Prabhu a 12th century saint, I couldn't resist myself from trying to get to its meaning. I called my dear aunt (who has herself excelled in bhakti sangeet) to get a better insight.
Below are the lyrics and the gist.
Bhavadalobba devara madi,
manadal-loondu bhaktiya madi.

kayada kaiyali karya untee,
vayakke balaluvadu nooda..!

yattaneeri yettanarasuvadu,
yatta hodaraiyaa guheshwara.

Make your god(peace) yourself, build devotion/love around it.
there is not much in the hands of this mortal body,
don't go looking for it elsewhere, where you can't find it.



Pandit Venkatesh Kumar renders it so powerfully and soulfully that it is hard to shield oneself from getting overwhelmed by the music and the message it conveys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Generally I do not post on blogs, but I would like to say that this post really forced me to do so! really nice post.